HOW-TO: Reviewing Guide
This document will guide a reviewer through a simple conference process.
Review Invitation (Optional)
- If you receive a reviewer invitation email from a Chair of a Conference, you may accept the invitation by clicking the “accept” link. If you want to decline the invitation, click the “decline” link.
- Clicking the accept link will take you to the Manage Reviewer Invite page. You have options to change your response to decline and/or to leave a comment.
- If a comment is entered, click Submit Comment to save.
- When you access the Reviewer Console, you may find that there are no papers to review. This only means the reviewing has not started. The Chair will send out an email to all Reviewers to start reviewing papers.
- Once reviewing has started, the paper(s) assigned to you will appear in the Reviewer Console. To see the abstract of a paper, click “Show Abstract” link.
- The abstract appears under the title of the Paper. To download the files individually, click the “Download” link.
- To download the all the files at once, click the Actions dropdown and select “Download Files.”
- Save the paper to your computer. If there are multiple files for a paper, a zip file will be downloaded.
- To enter review online, click “Enter Review” link to go to “Edit Review” page.
- The Edit Review page has qualifying questions added by the Chair.
The questions in this section could consist of statements of agreement, multiple choice, or limited-character text field types. Note the image is for demonstration purposes. Actual questions will vary.
Depending upon the parameters of the Conference set by the Chair, you can see information about your answer visibility to other roles in the conference, for example, reviewers or meta-reviewers.
- All required fields are marked by an asterisk <*>.
- CMT automatically saves a draft every few minutes. You can also click “Save Draft” at any time. After saving the draft, it will show the timestamp of the save in the lower right.
- When you are satisfied with your answers, click Submit.
After submitting your review, you will be directed back to the Reviewer Console. Note that now you have options to view the Review as well as to edit the Review.
Reviewers have the option to review the paper offline and import the review via an XML file.
- Click the Actions dropdown and select Import Reviews. Note the “Download Files” selection is just another way to download the Author’s submission.
- The Import Reviews page opens. Enable the checkbox(es) for the Paper(s) you wish to review offline, then click Download. You may download any number of files. This will download an XML file which you will modify, then upload to CMT.
- Save the XML file locally.
- Open the file in a text editor, e.g. Notepad or Notepad ++. The first line will always be the Conference Short Name. If multiple papers are selected, each Paper will have its own section in the XML.
- In the lines where it states “
Your answer” you will replace the words “Your answer” (between the “> <”), with your actual answers to the questions, usually taken from the options given in the XML.
For example, if questions have options for answers, choose one of the options listed as your answer. If questions have no options, enter your answer in text, as in question number 4.
- Save the XML; either with the same name or a different name of your choosing.
- In the Upload Reviews section of the Import reviews page, click Upload.
- Choose the saved XML (with your answers), click Open.
The Import Reviews page shows the file uploaded successfully.
- Click on View for any of the reviews you want to verify. This will bring up the View Review page for the corresponding Paper.
- The View Review page opens. Click Go Back to return to the Reviewer Console.